An initiative of :




Wageningen University





Sitekeuring.NET Award


Food-Info.net> Questions and Answers > Food ingredients > Vitamins

Can there be a toxic overdose of a certain vitamin?

An overdose of certain vitamins can cause health problems. Too much vitamin D can cause diarrhoea and weight loss. An overdose of vitamin A can also be harmful, particularly to pregnant woman because it can damage the foetus. The toxicity of vitamin A depends on several factors, so it is not possible to say precisely how much is too much.

It is possible to take large doses of the water soluble vitamins (Vitamin C and the B-complex) without any problems, except for vitamin B6. Long-term mega-doses of that vitamin may cause nerve damage in hands and feet. People at risk for kidney stones should be careful not to get too much of vitamin C.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



European Masters Degree in Food Studies - an Educational Journey


Master in Food Safety Law



Food-Info.net is an initiative of Wageningen University, The Netherlands